Writing a sympathy or condolence card can be an awkward, uneasy thing to do and it can be hard trying to come up with the right words for a meaningful message. We’ve done our research by exploring the web, as well as using our contacts and cards here at Funky Pigeon to come up with some ideas for what you can say. Read on to find a selection of sympathy card messages and ideas, from simple quotes to heartfelt wishes.
Short, Simple Messages
Choosing what to write in a card can be difficult at the best of times, and this is especially so when the subject matter is so emotional. So, let them know that they’re in your heart with a simple but sincere message that says everything you need to say.
- With heartfelt condolences.
- We are so sorry for your loss.
- I hope you feel surrounded by much love. Our thoughts are with you.
- Sending healing prayers and comforting hugs. I am so sorry for your loss.
- With deepest sympathy as you remember Ashley.
- Holding you close in our thoughts and hoping you are doing OK.
- It was truly a pleasure knowing Rebecca. She will be deeply missed.
- Wishing you as much peace as possible during this difficult time.
- Our thoughts are with you and your family at this time of sorrow.
- You are in all of our thoughts and prayers.
- May you find comfort in those around you.
- Jane will remain in our hearts forever.
- As you grieve, know that we are all remembering and honouring Jade.
- My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.
- Sending hugs and best wishes during this difficult time.
Thoughtful Wishes for a Loss
Just knowing that you are thinking of them and you are there if they need to talk can mean a lot when you’ve lost someone close to you. If you’re not sure how to put it into words, here are a few of our favourite heartfelt thoughtful messages for you to use in your sympathy card.
- Ryan will live forever in our hearts and memories. Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.
- This card isn’t meant to do anything for you but let you know that I am thinking of you at this time. I am sorry for your loss.
- I like to believe that when we lose someone close to us, they still live through us and give us strength. The time we have spent with those we’ve lost makes them part of us.
- Words cannot describe who Rachel was and so words also cannot describe the loss we are all feeling now.
- Life is complex, and so is death. The feelings that follow a death can be easier to navigate with a friend. We’re all here for you at this difficult time.
- Please accept our most heartfelt sympathies for your loss…our thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time.
- I can’t imagine what you are feeling, but I want to express my condolences to you. Please let me know of any way I can help.
- Wishing you peace to bring comfort, courage to face the days ahead and loving memories to forever hold in your hearts.
- I wish that I could bring you comfort and acceptance, but all I can do is stand beside you through the storm. I’m here if you need anything.
- When a death occurs in a family, it leaves behind an emptiness that can only be filled by the love of others and time. Please do reach out if there’s anything we can do to help.
- One of the storms we all must face in our lives is the passing of someone dear to our hearts. I am sorry you are facing this right now, but I know you are strong enough to get through it.
- We’re truly sorry to hear about the loss of Simon. The passing of a loved one is never easy, but time truly does heal all wounds.
- May all of your happy memories give you peace and comfort during this challenging time.
Appreciation of Person
One approach that pays honour to the person who has been lost is to pay respect by highlighting some great memories or talking about what you loved about them. This is an opportunity for you to draw on personal memories and experiences to celebrate their life and remember them. Here are a few ideas to help you get started.
- Joel was an amazing person and had a remarkable life. I feel so lucky that I got to know him.
- We are sorry for your loss. Jess was such a great person, she will live on in our memories forever.
- I am sorry to hear of your mother’s passing. I will always remember her as a generous, kind and loving woman. I know that you have those qualities too and will have acquired them from her.
- I am sorry you lost your sister. I know she loved you very much and that you will miss her greatly. I am sure she is very proud of you. I will always remember her as a great character.
- Leon touched so many lives for the good. I’m grateful I had the chance to know him. He will be dearly missed.
- Your grandad blessed so many people with his faith and kindness. Praying that you’ll find comfort in your memories of him as well as in the knowledge that others are missing him too.
- James had a positive impact on so many lives. I’m so happy to have had him as a part of my life for so many years. He will always be a cherished friend and live long in my memory.
- Here’s to celebrating the life of a great person and mourning his passing with you in every possible way.
- Elsa was an amazing person and had a truly remarkable life. I feel so lucky that I got to know her.
- John brought so many gifts to our lives. We will never forget them.
- Remembering your wonderful grandad and wishing you comfort through this time.
- We are thinking of you all as you celebrate your grandma’s remarkable life.