Everyone loves an inspirational, funny, or thoughtful message on their birthday – especially if it’s handwritten. Luckily for you we’ve created the ultimate guide containing 100s of ideas for what you can write in a birthday card. Whether it’s a birthday message for your friend, family member or partner – we’ve got you covered! See below and feel free to combine a few, or add your own spin to them to make them extra special.
Simple Happy Birthday Messages
1. Hope this new year will bring you lots of happiness, love, and fun. You deserve it all! Enjoy every moment!
2. Have a cracking birthday, full of madness and happy people to make it worth celebrating! Lots of love.
3. I wish you a bunch of love, laughter, happiness and sunny holidays to make this year a great one to remember ?
4. May this year be filled with plenty of fun and sweet memories to cherish forever. Happy birthday lovely!
5. Have a fantastic birthday – let’s light the candles, fill our glasses to the max, and celebrate this special day of your life! All my love xxx
6. Special day, special person, so SPECIAL CELEBRATION! Look forward to seeing you later!
7. Happy birthday! Have a great day – hope you make it one to remember!
8. I hope today is the beginning of another wonderful year for you. Happy birthday!
9. It’s time for a little bit of cake and a lot of fun! Happy birthday!
10. I hope you get to do something fun to celebrate, and the day is filled with all your favourite guilty pleasures!
Funny Birthday Messages
1. I always limit my budget on buying birthday gifts according to what that person gave me as a gift on my birthday. Enjoy your gift of nothing!
2. Happy birthday to one of the few people whose birthday I can remember without a Facebook reminder.
3. Forget about the past, you can’t change it. Forget about the future, you can’t predict it. Forget about the present, I didn’t get you one.
4. May your Facebook wall be filled with birthday wishes from people you’ve never met, haven’t seen in years, or genuinely couldn’t care less about.
5. On your birthday don’t forget to set goals that are sky high, and spend the rest of the year miserably trying to build a rocket to get there.
6. You’re a really hard individual to shop for… so I didn’t get you anything. Happy birthday!
7. Happy birthday to the only person I would rescue in the event of a zombie apocalypse.
8. If you were Jesus, today would be Christmas!
9. Smart, good looking, and funny. But enough about me. Happy birthday!
10. It is scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer.
For more funny ideas visit our article dedicated to funny birthday card messages.
Best Milestone Birthday Messages
1. Happy adulthood! Whatever the future holds, enjoy the journey…
2. Getting closer and closer to the big 3-0 and when your responsibilities and choices will matter! Enjoy these nice and easy years ahead of you!
3. Congrats on hitting another milestone! First shot’s on me, then another 20 to go! Happy birthday!
4. “The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.” – Hervey Allen
5. Turning 40 doesn’t mean you have to act like your age – here’s to another decade of fun, and childlike banter.
6. Here’s to 50 years of an incredible you…and an incredible 50 more!
7. I wish you the best 60th birthday and hope that this important occasion finds you happy and well!
8. A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey. Enjoy life and embrace the trip!
9. Birthdays are like glazed donuts. Sometimes it’s better not to remember how many you’ve had!
10. Age and glasses of wine should never be counted.
For more milestone birthday ideas visit our blog will give you lots of great examples to write a 18th, 21st, 30th, 40th, 50th birthday card.
Birthday Messages for A Friend
1. It just occurred to me that we really are becoming OLD friends. Happy birthday old friend!
2. Know that you always deserve the best and nothing less! I wish your birthday will be as fantastic and fun as you are. Happy birthday lovely!
3. To the best friend in the world – cheers to you! Thanks for always being so supportive and loving – there’s no better friend than you for me!
4. Happy birthday my little favourite! Thanks for being you, and for all the memories we have. Without you my world would be colourless.
5. I love everything we share and I can’t wait to see what happens next. Cheers to you my friend on your birthday.
6. Forget about the past – look forward to the future, for the best things are yet to come 😉
7. Good friends don’t just get old, they only get better, like fine wine. Here’s to many more birthdays as friends!
8. My friend, it’s time to pop the champagne, make some noise, dish out some food, throw some confetti, and burst some balloons – let’s celebrate your birthday properly!
9. Life is boring when you’re not around. Happy birthday to you – let’s make it grand!
10. Don’t count the years or the candles, count all the memories! Happy birthday!
Birthday Messages for Boyfriend
1. Happy Birthday my love! You make me a happier person every day, so just stay exactly as you are because I love you.
2. Vanilla, chocolate or banana too! No matter the flavour your cake comes in, it can’t ever taste better than you!
3. Congratulations on turning another year older and still keeping me as your partner!
4. Today is your special day. Let me be your genie. Every wish you make, I will make it come true! Happy birthday my love.
5. Even after a long time together, you have not changed, and I still love the way your eyes wrinkle at the sides whenever you smile, happy birthday!
6. You give me the joy, love, and light in my life. I hope you have the happiest and craziest birthday ever.
7. Your arms are like my home, where I get the peace and strength to live. Happy Birthday to the person who is full of comforts.
8. Happy bday to the hottest and the most cheerful guy on the planet! May your day be filled with fun and excitement.
9. Hip hip hooray! It’s time to celebrate you on this day! Happy birthday!
10. Happy birthday! This is your day, and I can’t wait to celebrate it with you. All my love.
Birthday Messages for Girlfriend
1. You’ve put a smile on my face so many times, I hope I can give you one in return on your big day. Happy birthday sweetie!
2. What do you get when you mix beauty a great personality – YOU. Happy birthday!
3. I searched online and went to all the shops, old and new. But I could not find anything that was as pretty as you. Happy birthday girl.
4. Beautiful, sexy, pretty and hot. Happy birthday to the girlfriend who I love a lot.
5. Even when I’m sad and depressed, your hugs are what always make me grin. With you by my side, I know I will always win. Happy birthday beautiful.
6. I can’t understand what the big deal with Mona Lisa’s smile is. Obviously, the world hasn’t seen you smile. Happy birthday.
7. No matter how much we fight and argue, no one else means more to me than you. Happy birthday.
8. From the day I said hello to you for the first time, my heart knew that it never wanted to say goodbye. Happy birthday sweetie!
9. Happy birthday to my one and only! ’m so lucky I get to spend the day with you.
10. I wanted to give you something awesome for your birthday… then I remembered you already have me! Happy birthday 🙂
Birthday Messages for Daughter
1. Trouble is coming, because it’s your birthday and you need to celebrate tonight like there’s no tomorrow! Have a fun-filled and happy birthday sweetie!
2. May you continue to put smiles on our faces and be a constant reminder that we did an amazing good in raising you ;o)
3. Another year older… and you still haven’t left home! Happy birthday from your two favourite parents.
4. Our darling little girl, we’re so grateful that you came along. You have certainly made our world a million times richer than you could ever imagine. We love you, happy bday!
5. I wish that your day will be filled with so much happiness and love. May all of your dreams and wishes come true!
6. I consider this day very special, as it’s the day when I first met you. Regardless of how old you’ll become, you will always be our cute baby girl.
7. Happy birthday to our ray of sunshine and little princess. We love you forever. Happy birthday!
8. You can accomplish whatever you want in life. All you need to do is believe in yourself and keep faith in yourself! If you really want it, you’ll get it!
9. Remember how rare and beautiful it truly is that we exist – and live your life to the fullest! Your wise mum xxx
10. Happy birthday! Whatever you do don’t get too drunk or we will take back ALL the presents we got you!
Birthday Messages for Son
1. We might not say it a lot, but we’re so proud of what you’ve become. Have a great birthday!
2. I’m so happy to say that I see a little more of me in you in every single day. Have a great birthday, my little boy!
3. You’ve always wanted us to treat you like an adult, so this birthday we decided to grant your wish. The cleaning and chores are all yours this year. You’re welcome!
4. Being a parent is never an easy task, but loving a son as precious as you are is never difficult. Happy birthday my son!
5. Another year older and one step closer to taking care of us when we’re older… happy birthday!
6. Even when you are too old for a room in our house, there will always be room for you in our hearts. You’ll never be too old for our love and support. Happy birthday to you!
7. As a parent, it’s my job to cherish all the special moments I get to share with you. Having a son as marvellous as you just makes it so easy. Happy birthday!
8. Happy birthday to a son who is smart, handsome, funny and reminds me a lot of myself 😉
9. We hope you always head in the direction of happiness, my son, and I hope that all your dreams and ambitions come true. Happy birthday!
10. It’s time for birthday celebrations! Wishing you lots of fun on your special day!
Birthday Messages for Husband
1. Happy birthday to the most awesome, wonderful, outrageously funny, courageous, handsome and great hubby! But enough about someone else, happy birthday to you too!
2. Happy birthday to the most kind-hearted and thoughtful husband alive. Loving you is always easy.
3. I know you work hard and you’re always finding new ways to make things work for your family. That’s why you’re the best! Happy birthday to my best friend!
4. Wishing the smartest, best looking and inspiring person in this world a very happy bday.
5. Growing old with you takes the sting out of old age (kind of!) Enjoy your birthday.
6. I was so lost before you walked into my life. Thank you for showing me the right way and being the best husband for me. Have the best birthday honey!
7. Happy birthday to my number one ally, my best friend, my husband!
8. Thank you for being the best partner and companion in my life. I can’t wait to have more adventures and memories with you. Happy birthday to you my love.
9. Another year older and you’ve still managed to stay married to a gorgeous wife! Well done you!
10. Happy bday! I still can’t believe I’m managing to think of present ideas after all these years of marriage 😉
Birthday Messages for Wife
1. Happy birthday! Here’s your birthday coupon: Good for one day free from chores, jobs, tasks, problems, and worries.
2. You’re more beautiful to me than ever. Happy birthday honey! All my love.
3. Happy birthday to the woman who still makes my heart beat so fast. May your birthday be filled with all the love and laughter you deserve.
4. Another year older and you’ve still managed to stay married to a handsome husband! Well done you!
5. Love of my life and pain in my rear. It’s difficult to do, but you manage to be both. Happy birthday to the best multitasker wife!
6. Instead of thinking of your birthday as getting older, try to think of it as a sweet yearly reminder that we’ve had so many fortunate years together. Here’s to hopefully having many more. Enjoy your birthday darling.
7. Whether it’s busy times, quiet times, or cuddly times, I promise that I will always love and respect you. On your birthday I say we start with those cuddly times and go from there ?
8. Love isn’t always dinners by candlelight and long walks on the beach. For all the years of mac-n-cheese and endless laundry, you will have my never-ending love as well as my gratitude. Wishing you a happy birthday honey, thank you for keeping it all together.
9. May your day be bright and beautiful – just like you. Happy birthday wifey!
10. Happy birthday to my Queen! I’m so glad I get to spend your birthday with you!
Birthday Messages for Mum
1. There is no other person who can take your place. I’m so lucky to have you. Have a great birthday mum!
2. Here’s a smile from me to you. Let this day bring you something new. Happy birthday mum!
3. Don’t feel overwhelmed by the number of candles on your cake. It won’t trigger the fire alarm… yet. Next year, maybe! Happy birthday!
4. Every mum is special but trust me there is no other mum who can be compared to you. On this special day, I want to thank you and wish happy birthday.
5. Just like you’re not supposed not have a favourite child, we’re not supposed to have a favourite parent… But just between you and me, let’s just say dad gets a lower birthday budget every year ;).
6. I don’t know where I’d be without you and your love. Wishing you the best birthday xxx
7. Let the number of years you have lived not be a reminder of how old you are, but a medal of everything you’ve been through in life
8. In case you didn’t already know, you’re a remarkable mum. Don’t ever forget it! Happy birthday!
9. Happy birthday mummy! Thanks for always being there for me every year!
10. Mum, as it’s your birthday – make sure you sit back and relax, put up your feet and let dad take care of everything!
Birthday Messages for Dad
1. I got my adventurous spirit and love for life from you, dad! Thanks for teaching me that no matter how old you get, you can still be a kid at heart.
2. Considering everything I put you through, you’ve aged very well dad!
3. It’s not easy to be a great dad AND a best friend. And yet, you nailed it!
4. Although a lot of people say that I got my good looks from you, I still take it as an insult! Happy birthday dad!
5. Happy birthday to a dad that I’m actually starting to turn into :O
6. People rub lamps to find genies while I simply shout “dad” ? – happy birthday dad!
7. Here’s a fun fact… no, not that you’re getting older. Just that you’re starting to look funnier. Here’s to more bad dad jokes and a happy birthday to you, Dad!
8. Dad, make sure you eat as much cake as possible! Not because it’s your birthday, but because soon you won’t have the real teeth to do so soon ;). Happy birthday!
9. Some people never grow up. You are one of them. Ask mum if you don’t believe me.
10. Great dads like you only come along once in a lifetime. Happy birthday old man!
Birthday Messages for Sister
1. Another birthday, so you’re growing older gradually… but you’re not changing! Here’s to staying young. Happy birthday sista! Have the best day xxx
2. Go forth, and multiply little Sis! The best is yet to come – so dream BIG – and make it happen! All my love xxx
3. Being related to me is really the only gift you need. Just saying. Happy birthday!
4. Happy bday to the coolest sister ever! You always know how to cheer me up and make my day brighter. Love you!
5. Just for today, you can borrow any of the clothes that you want ;). Happy birthday, sister!
6. You’re the reason why my childhood was so colourful and fun. Thanks for all those wonderful memories. Happy Birthday, sis.
7. I’m going to stop buying you makeup… time to accept you as you are, beautiful wrinkles and all ;)! Happy birthday!
8. In the kaleidoscope of my life, you form the most beautiful patterns with the most vibrant colours. Happy birthday sis.
9. Put your right hand on your left shoulder and the left hand on the right. Now laugh out loud – you just received a big birthday hug from me ?
10. I hope I look as good as you when I get to your age! Happy bday big sis!
Birthday Messages for Brother
1. To the best brother mum made! Wish you a great birthday! From the best sibling mum made xx
2. The room is getting hotter, please blow the candles before you start a fire big brother!
3. Happy Birthday **** head! Thanks for annoying me ALL THE TIME!
4. Take two pieces of cake, one for each hand – and you’ll get perfectly balanced diet X) Enjoy all your birthday treats, it’s only once a year!
5. To the man who’s like the best little sister I never had – Happy Birthday!
6. I didn’t get you’re a prezzie, because I’m sure you will agree, there’s really is greater gift, than a brother just like me!
7. Thank you for being born just in time to save my childhood. To all the good times, little brother! Have a wonderful day.
8. Growing up is inevitable but you’ll always be that dirty child playing in the mud and making a mess. Don’t worry, we still think you’re cute. Have a great birthday baby brother!
9. Happy birthday to mum and dad’s second favourite child
10. To another year of me being younger than you! Happy birthday bro!
For more ideas and inspiration, visit our birthday cards.